Published On: Fri, Apr 26th, 2019

What to Do if You Fear Your Child was Injured by Clinical Negligence at Birth

Birth is one of the most vulnerable times in our lives and we always want it to go as smoothly as possible. However, this might not always be the case; birth injuries caused by clinical negligence do happen and you might be entitled to compensation when this does. Let’s take a look at what you can do if you fear your child was injured by clinical negligence during their birth.

photo Kabilan Subramanian

Gather Evidence

If you are certain that your child was injured by clinical evidence, you are going to need some evidence to support this fact. This means you are going to need to get your child’s medical records. Head to either the NHS Trust in charge of the hospital where your child was born or the hospital itself.

Healthcare professionals have a legal requirement to let you access your health records and you are entitled to access your child’s records if they are under the age of 16. You also have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner if you feel like you have been blocked from seeing the records without adequate reasoning.

Contact a Lawyer

If you think you have a case where you could receive compensation, your next step should be to reach out to a lawyer who specialises in birth injury claims. You could even approach them if you have no evidence as they may be able to do some of the groundwork and evidence-gathering for you.

They are the experts and they will know how to progress the claim. Leave the legal work to them as they will know the best tactics for structuring the case and chasing down the guilty parties.

Come to Terms

It can be incredibly difficult to come to terms with the fact that your child’s condition was caused by the clinical negligence of a third party. While you love your child unconditionally and are able to cope with their needs, this discovery might open some old feelings.

Furthermore, if you unfortunately lost your child due to clinical negligence, you may feel fresh pain or may find yourself reliving the trauma all over again. If you find yourself struggling mentally throughout the process, you should definitely look into some form of counselling.

Make sure you also speak to your partner. They might be feeling exactly the same way as you and sharing your troubles with each other may help you both find some closure or comfort. Don’t let this event come between you as a couple.

Stay Strong

While it might open some old wounds, ultimately investigating the clinical negligence surrounding your child’s injuries will help to bring you closure about the matter. Stay strong for yourself, your partner, and your child, and you will hopefully get the answers and the compensation which you and your family deserve.

Don’t be afraid to reach out to a lawyer to discuss an act of clinical negligence. Your family has been hurt by this act and you deserve something to set it right.

Author: Jayce Redford

On the DISPATCH: Headlines  Local  Opinion

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter

* indicates required

About the Author

- Outside contributors to the Dispatch are always welcome to offer their unique voices, contradictory opinions or presentation of information not included on the site.

Displaying 2 Comments
Have Your Say
  1. [* Shield plugin marked this comment as “trash”. Reason: Failed GASP Bot Filter Test (checkbox) *]

    […]one of our guests not too long ago encouraged the following website[…]

  2. [* Shield plugin marked this comment as “trash”. Reason: Failed GASP Bot Filter Test (checkbox) *]

    […]here are some hyperlinks to web pages that we link to due to the fact we believe they may be really worth visiting[…]

Leave a comment

XHTML: You can use these html tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>



The Global Dispatch Facebook page- click here

Movie News Facebook page - click here

Television News Facebook page - click here

Weird News Facebook page - click here