Published On: Mon, Jul 27th, 2015

Texas man, Hamid Sadeghy, suffers burns as E-cigarette explodes in his pocket like a ‘firecracker’

A Texas man suffered second-degree burns to his leg after the electronic cigarette he was carrying around in his pocket apparently just expoded.

Hamid Sadeghy landed 15 minutes of fame after his switch to e-cigarettes in May turned explosive as the “firecracker” went off in his pocket while at work.

“It made the same exact noise,” Sadeghy told KBTC-TV. “A hissing sound and then burning sensation.”

Sadeghy works as a windshield installer and descibes how it “just went off” in his pocket, how he then pulled down his pants to find the chemical oozing down his leg from the battery. These chemicals burned his skin and suffered some tissue damage.

The Texan said he cut down from a pack a day to only one or two cigarettes a day, KTBC-TV reported.

“I think this product was placed on the market with someone knowing it posed a danger to the consumers who would eventually use it,” attorney James Wood said.

Tobacco Vapor Electronic Cigarette Association co-founder Thomas Kiklas further warned of the dangers that could arise from e-cigarette consumers packing their batteries in their pockets. Kiklas said that when the objects mingle with other metals, such as coins or keys, it can cause them to short and eventually overheat.



Check out the full report from the FOX affiliate, which includes a close up look at the damage and burns on his leg. CLICK HERE

Bugs Bunny explosion photo

On the DISPATCH: Headlines  Local  Opinion

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter

* indicates required

About the Author

Leave a comment

XHTML: You can use these html tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>



The Global Dispatch Facebook page- click here

Movie News Facebook page - click here

Television News Facebook page - click here

Weird News Facebook page - click here