Pakistan reports Naegleria fowleri death in Karachi man

Pakistan, which recorded an outbreak of the “brain-eating” amoeba, Naegleria fowleri in 2012, which killed 10 people,  has recorded it’s first case and fatality in 2014 in a man from Karachi, according to a Dawn.com report Wednesday.

The report says the 39-year-old man health officials in Karachi  say the victim had no history of swimming, and they suspected the victim had been afflicted with the deadly amoeba while performing ablution, or nasal rinsing.

The death has prompted the Karachi Water and Sewerage Board (KWSB) to reactivate its Naegleria fowleri monitoring cell on Thursday  to combat the pressing threat posed by Naegleria fowleri. In addition, a subcommittee was formed with the mandate to survey swimming pools and water parks to check if they were properly chlorinated.

The practice of ablution is included in Yogic, Ayurvedic, and Islamic traditions. Within the Islamic faith, ritual nasal rinsing is included in a cleansing process called “wudu” or “ablution.” It is usually performed several times a day in preparation for prayer, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. For more infectious disease news and information, visit and “like” the Infectious Disease News Facebook page.

What is Naegleria fowleri?

Pakistan map Photo/CIA

Pakistan map Photo/CIA




On the DISPATCH: Headlines  Local  Opinion

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter

* indicates required

About the Author

- Writer, Co-Founder and Executive Editor of The Global Dispatch. Robert has been covering news in the areas of health, world news and politics for a variety of online news sources. He is also the Editor-in-Chief of the website, Outbreak News Today and hosts the podcast, Outbreak News Interviews on iTunes, Stitcher and Spotify Robert is politically Independent and a born again Christian Follow @bactiman63

Displaying 1 Comments
Have Your Say
  1. Another ‘brain-eating amoeba’ death reported in Pakistan, 3rd of the year in Karachi - The Global Dispatch says:

    […] the Aga Khan University Hospital after an attempt at treating the amoeba, Naegleria fowleri. And the first case of the year was reported at the end of May when a 39-year-old Karachi man died after being exposed to the […]

Leave a comment

XHTML: You can use these html tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>



The Global Dispatch Facebook page- click here

Movie News Facebook page - click here

Television News Facebook page - click here

Weird News Facebook page - click here