Published On: Wed, Apr 16th, 2014

Horse blood pudding linked to food poisoning outbreak in Vietnam

Nearly two dozen participating in a party in the northern mountainous province of Lao Cai were sickened food poisoning after consuming horse blood pudding, according to a Saigon Giai Phong report Tuesday.



Samples of the dish were taken by health officials in Lao Cai Province and test results revealed the presence of both Staphylococcus aureus and E. coli. With the relatively short incubation between consumption and illness, the food poisoning was likely due to staphylococcal food poisoning.Horse blood pudding is reported to be popular with Hmong and other ethnic farming people in the mountains.

This is not the first time food borne illness resulted from the consumption of horse blood pudding. Last June 2013, in the same province, 50 people showed symptoms of vomiting and diarrhea three hours after eating the pudding.

Staphylococcal food intoxication  is caused by several of the enterotoxins of Staphylococcus aureus. These toxins are heat-stable and cannot be killed by cooking. For more infectious disease news and information, visit and “like” the Infectious Disease News Facebook page.

People typically get this usually abrupt food poisoning through eating a food stuff that contains the staphylococcal enterotoxin, especially foods that come in contact with food handler’s hands, either without subsequent cooking or inadequate heating or refrigeration.

Foods most commonly implicated are pastries, custards, salad dressings, sandwiches and meat products. When these foods remain at room temperature for a period (usually a several hours) prior to consumption, the staph bacteria are allowed to multiply and produce the toxin.

The time between eating the offending food product and the onset of symptoms is short, from 30 minutes to 8 hours.

This intoxication presents itself quickly with sometimes violent onset; severe cramps, nausea, vomiting and often accompanied by diarrhea. The illness typically lasts a day or two. Serious complications and deaths are rare.


On the DISPATCH: Headlines  Local  Opinion

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter

* indicates required

About the Author

- Writer, Co-Founder and Executive Editor of The Global Dispatch. Robert has been covering news in the areas of health, world news and politics for a variety of online news sources. He is also the Editor-in-Chief of the website, Outbreak News Today and hosts the podcast, Outbreak News Interviews on iTunes, Stitcher and Spotify Robert is politically Independent and a born again Christian Follow @bactiman63

Displaying 2 Comments
Have Your Say
  1. Clarissa Dillon on the Great Age of English Puddings says:

    […] Horse blood pudding linked to food poisoning outbreak in Vietnam […]

  2. Mumps confirmed at University of Wisconsin-La Crosse – The Global Dispatch | Everyday News Update says:

    […] […]

Leave a comment

XHTML: You can use these html tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>



The Global Dispatch Facebook page- click here

Movie News Facebook page - click here

Television News Facebook page - click here

Weird News Facebook page - click here