Quantcast
Published On: Mon, Apr 15th, 2013

Feds say 12 reportedly dead from Boston Marathon explosion Photos

Confirmed reports of a dozen injured now seems pale in comparision with the NY Post headline which proclaims 12 dead, dozens more injured.

UPDATE: Official numbers (as of Tuesday morning) is 3 dead and 144 inured. The the New York Post may have also incorrectly reported that authorities have identified a potential suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings. A 20-year-old Sudi national is reportedly being guarded in a Boston hospital in unknown condition. “Investigators have a suspect — a Saudi Arabian national — in the horrific Boston Marathon bombings,” The Post reports.

“The man was caught less than two hours after the 2:50 p.m. bombing on the finish line of the race, in the heart of Boston,” the report adds. CBS News’ John Miller is also reporting that police have a potential suspect in custody — a Saudi Arabian national.

 Miller said a civilian claims the person, identified as a Saudi national, was acting suspiciously so he chased him down and tackled him following the explosions. The man is reportedly cooperating with investigators and denies any involvement in the explosions.

Boston Police Commissioner Edward Davis said in a press conference Monday that they have not identified anyone as a suspect yet. He didn’t specifically deny reports of a potential suspect, but did confirm that no suspect has been formally identified.


 

Two explosions rocked the Boston Marathon finish line on Monday, sending authorities out on the course to carry off the injured while the stragglers in the 26.2-mile trek from Hopkinton were rerouted away from the smoking site of the blasts.

A federal law-enforcement source told The Post there are at least 12 dead and twice as many injured. Fox News reported that Massachusetts General Hospital was treating 10 people with amputated limbs and all operating rooms were on hold.

MORE BELOW PHOTOS

photo - Twitter/@Boston_to_a_T

photo – Twitter/@Boston_to_a_T

photo @chanyasulkit via Twitter

photo @chanyasulkit via Twitter

“There were two bombs that exploded near the finish line in today’s Boston Marathon,” The Boston Marathon’s official Facebook page read. “We are working with law enforcement to understand what exactly has happened.”

“This changes everything [in New York],’’ one source told The Post. “Everyone’s on high alert. Our marathon was canceled in November. Who knows if that changed someone’s plans?’’

“I saw two explosions,” said Boston Herald reporter Chris Cassidy, who was running in the marathon.

“There are people who have been hit with debris, people with bloody foreheads.”

Bloody spectators are being carried to the medical tent that had been set up to care for fatigued runners, AFP reported.

“There are a lot of people down,” said one man, whose bib No.17528 identified him as Frank Deruyter.

He was not injured, but marathon workers were carrying one woman, who did not appear to be a runner, to the medical area as blood gushed from her leg.

photo Twitter/@theoriginalwak

photo Twitter/@theoriginalwak

photo @brm90 via Twitter

On the DISPATCH: Headlines  Local  Opinion

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter

* indicates required
/ ( mm / dd ) [ALL INFO CONFIDENTIAL]

About the Author

- Roxanne "Butter" Bracco began with the Dispatch as Pittsburgh Correspondent, but will be providing reports and insights from Washington DC, Maryland and the surrounding region. Contact Roxie aka "Butter" at [email protected] ATTN: Roxie or Butter Bracco

Tags

Leave a comment

XHTML: You can use these html tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

Sign up for our Weekly Newsletter



Categories

Archives

At the Movies

Pin It