Published On: Tue, Mar 13th, 2018

3 Healthcare Certifications You Can Take with You Around the World

If you have thought about eventually relocating to a different country, you have to be concerned about what you’re going to do for a living. Business owners might not be as concerned if they can operate their companies remotely, but the average working person needs to know that their credentials will be recognized in the foreign country that they will be living in. The best phlebotomy training in the U.S. is very likely going to be transferable to nations in Asia, Latin America, Europe, Africa and the Middle East. A certified nurse’s assistant in the U.S. might have to go to school all over again if he or she moves outside of the U.S.

photo/ CDC

To better guide you, here are three types of healthcare certifications that will follow you around the globe.

  1. Medical Doctors

In the United States, one has to complete in excess of nine years of schooling to become a licensed medical doctor. During that time, doctors-in-training complete residencies, are advised by more experienced medical professionals and learn about what areas of medicine they want to specialize in. Needless to say, medical doctors who receive their certifications in the U.S. often have the chance to not only practice in foreign countries, but they may also be asked to teach and demonstrate techniques they learned during their careers. In the event that you want to move to a different nation and continue practicing as a medical doctor, you should be able to get clearance from the local medical board.

  1. Phlebotomists

Phlebotomists are trained to draw and collect blood samples from patients. So, why is that job important in a medical setting? Often, nurses and doctors stay busy all day while at work trying to actively treat patients. CNAs aren’t usually permitted to draw blood from patients, so phlebotomists are super important in all medical settings. If you have experience taking blood from patients and maintaining the chain of custody, moving to a foreign country should not be a barrier to your continuing career.

  1. Licensed Nurses

There are multiple ways to be certified as a nurse in the United States. You can be an LPN, or a licensed practitioner nurse. RPNs are registered practitioner nurses, who are second only to medical doctors. It takes much longer to become an RPN than an LPN. In either instance, if you got your medical training in the U.S. you should still be able to work as a nurse abroad. You may need to take an additional test or learn another language, but your education will still have a very high value in all healthcare settings, locally or internationally.

Medical students from Brazil, Russia, Angola, Japan, and many, many other countries regularly travel to the U.S. to complete their schooling. Likewise, medical students in the U.S. might travel abroad to learn more about international medical systems. If you have obtained credentials in the healthcare field, worked for years, and served your patients to the best of your ability, then continuing to work in another nation is possible.

Author: Carol Trehearn

On the DISPATCH: Headlines  Local  Opinion

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter

* indicates required

About the Author

- Outside contributors to the Dispatch are always welcome to offer their unique voices, contradictory opinions or presentation of information not included on the site.

Leave a comment

XHTML: You can use these html tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>



The Global Dispatch Facebook page- click here

Movie News Facebook page - click here

Television News Facebook page - click here

Weird News Facebook page - click here