Sharmeka Moffitt, Lousiana woman attacked, set on fire, KKK on house – all self inflicted
Authorities say the woman who told police she had been attacked and set on fire in a Winnsboro city park made it all up, despite having to undergo surgery on Tuesday.
Sharmeka Moffitt, age 20, remains in critical condition in the Regional Burn Center at LSU Medical Center in Shreveport. Moffitt told authorities that she was walking on a trail in Civitan Park in Winnsboro Sunday evening when she was attacked and set on fire. She told police that three males had intentionally doused her with flammable liquid and set her ablaze.
Now Tuesday afternoon, authorities linked Moffitt’s fingerprints to a lighter and a bottle of lighter fluid found at the scene.
“The investigation (of) Ms Moffitt has revealed that this was not an attack but a self-inflicted incident that happened to her,” said Chief Thomas.
Police now believe that she wrote “KKK” and “n—er” on her car and lit herself on fire. The writings on the car, written in toothpaste, were linked to female DNA.
When Chief Thomas was asked about a motive, he said that remains unknown.
Franklin Parish Sheriff Kevin Cobb added: “Although I think what she did was wrong and had major consequences not only for her, but throughout our community and our country, there’s something wrong here, and we need to help individuals like this. In the same way our community came to support her as a victim, I still hope the community will support her emotional and physical recovery.”
You May Also Like….
- Pittsburgh mother charges with the death of her twins, who she left to get some pot – more here
- Pennsylvania man douses girlfriend in perfume and sets her on fire, click here for details
- Plea bargain: Florida women cuts a deal, allowed child to be sexually abused for drugs – shocking story here
This was the family’s statement:
Our family is devastated to learn the circumstances surrounding our daughter’s injuries. While this was not the resolution we had expected, it is a resolution, and we appreciate the thorough investigation by the local and state police as well as federal agencies.
We are sincerely sorry for any problems this may have caused and wish to express our appreciation for the outpouring of love, prayers and support we have received from friends, acquaintances, church organizations and government officials.
Over the coming days and weeks, our focus will be on Sharmeka and her recovery.”
Here’s the comments from some NBC readers when the story seemed like a hate crime:
- Sick evil bastards, and I’m white but that’s is just EVIL. How can you do that to another human being? That is the kind of thing I can’t understand. – Hank
- I just hope it doesn’t turn out to be like that girl who said a lady ran up to her and threw acid in her face, and was disfigured by it, only to discover she had actually done it herself to get attention. That said, I hope she will be okay and that whoever is responsible will be held accountable. I hate that I live in a world that makes me cynical. – fuzzybearslippers
- It was Jesse Jackson and All Sharpton wearing “white hoodies”, slow year for them and trying to drum up a sword to fall on. – IXLR8
- Until we really get serious about racism in America we will always have people doing and saying things that are just flat out wrong… We can hide behind Hoods and run into the Woods but the God that I serve sees all you will get what is due you… You can’t hide from yourself
Now here’s some latest from the Huff Po after the news it was self-inflicted:
- She should be charged with a hate crime. She attempted to get others prosecuted because they were white. She chose the victims (any white person in the area who matches the descriptions she gave) based on the color of their skin. -fdm
- Let’s see, she lied about the incident, tried to blame it on someone else, tried to turn it into a racial issue and got caught in her story. Sounds like a potential democratic presidential candidate for 2017 – g masterman
- Response to above statement: 2016, and she would be up against the GOP candidate, Ashley Todd who blamed a Black Obama supporter for carving a “B” into her face. Should be an interesting election. – Ms March hare
- This woman is so sick to do this to herself. The pain involved in a burn is so bad she must have been in extreme mental anguish to torture herself like this. Trying to make it a hate crime for attention makes me wonder how little attention she’s gotten in her life. I can’t see hating her and I think she’s punushed herself so much with burns all over her body that I only want to say she needs help not more punishment. I will pray for her. – kissynoises