Public Health Wales investigating norovirus outbreak at the Hilton Hotel in Langstone, Newport
At least 74 people have sickened after visiting a hotel in Newport.
According to a Public Health Wales statement Tuesday, Dr Lika Nehaul, Consultant in Communicable Disease Control, Public Health Wales says “Twenty three staff and 51 guests of the Hilton Hotel in Langstone, Newport are known to have become unwell with diarrhoea and vomiting.
Norovirus is a highly contagious illness caused by infection with a virus of the same name. It is often called by other names, such as viral gastroenteritis, stomach flu, and food poisoning.
The symptoms include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and some stomach cramping. Sometimes people additionally have a low-grade fever, chills, headache, muscle aches, and a general sense of tiredness. The illness often begins suddenly, and the infected person may feel very sick. In most people, the illness is self-limiting with symptoms lasting for about 1 or 2 days. In general, children experience more vomiting than adults do.
Norovirus is spread person to person particularly in crowded, closed places. Norovirus is typically spread through contaminated food and water, touching surfaces or objects contaminated with norovirus and then putting your hand or fingers in your mouth and close contact with someone who is vomiting or has diarrhea.
Public Health Wales says because the virus is easily passed from person to person, it is important that anyone who has had vomiting or diarrhoea should not return to work or school for 48 hours after their last symptoms.