Johnny Depp’s finances, spending goes viral on Internet: millions on Hunter S Thompson’s ashes, staff, security, travel
Business managers countersuing Johnny Depp in a bizarre battle of the Hollywood elite, claim that the Pirates of the Caribbean actor’s $2m-a-month lifestyle has led to his financial woes. Depp sued the group for $25m for mismanaging his earnings.
The Management Group states that Depp is “fully responsible for any financial turmoil” he faces and their countersuit claims that “He has refused to live within his means, despite… repeated warnings about his financial condition.”
Their legal action, obtained by the Deadline website, also accuses the actor of spending:
- $18m (£14.3m) on an 150 foot (45 metre) yacht
- $4m (£3.2m) on a failed record label
- $3m (£2.4m) to blast Hunter S Thompson’s ashes out of a cannon
- $300,000 (£238,600) a month to maintain a staff of 40 people
- $200,000 (£159,000) a month on private planes
- $150,000 (£119,330) a month on round-the-clock security
- $30,000 (£23,800) a month on buying and importing wine
Depp also needed 12 storage facilities to house his collection of Hollywood memorabilia.
The latest legal battle comes in the aftermath of his messy divorce to Amber Heard, which was finalized in January after months of fighting.
Depp’s lawsuit claims The Management Group owed him more than $25m. He also alleges the company failed to file his taxes on time, costing him $5.7m (£4.5m) in penalties.