Quantcast
Published On: Wed, Nov 1st, 2017

‘House of Cards’ season 6 production halted after Kevin Spacey sex scandal

Netflix has halted the filming of House of Cards, the sixth and final season of the popular political drama, after the sexual harassment and assault allegations made by Star Trek: Discovery actor Anthony Rapp. Deadline broke the news, stating the production was “suspended indefinitely” as the team was informed yesterday morning.

“MRC and Netflix have decided to suspend production on House of Cards season six, until further notice, to give us time to review the current situation and to address any concerns of our cast and crew,” the two companies said in a joint statement to Deadline.

Less than a day earlier, Netflix announced that House of Cards will end with its upcoming sixth season as the news of Spacey’s drunken advances and handling of Rapp, then only 14-years-old, grew growing concerns over the sexual behavior in Hollywood.

Deadline summarized: “The Emmy-nominated House of Cards had been in production in the Baltimore metro area on its sixth season. Executives from Netflix and MRC arrived there Monday “to meet with our cast and crew to ensure that they continue to feel safe and supported” following the allegations against Spacey, who had not been scheduled to be on set yesterday.”

“Media Rights Capital and Netflix are deeply troubled by last night’s news concerning Kevin Spacey,” the companies said in the joint statement Monday.

The 13-episode sixth season was slated for release next year.

Rapp detailed the interaction with Spacey, who has even been at the end of a disturbing Family Guy joke centering on the naked baby Stewie running around, claiming to have escaped from Spacey’s basement.

Rapp recounted the incident: “My impression was that he was drunk. He picked me up like a groom picks up the bride over the threshold. But I don’t squirm away initially, because I’m like, ‘What’s going on’?

“Then he lays down on top of me. He was trying to seduce me. I don’t know if I would have used that language, but I was aware that he was trying to get with me sexually.”

Spacey, 58, confessed “I honestly do not remember the encounter, it would have been over 30 years ago. But if I did behave then as he describes, I owe him the sincerest apology for what would have been deeply inappropriate drunken behavior.

“As those closest to me know, in my life I have had relationships with both men and women. I have loved and had romantic encounters with men throughout my life and I choose now to live as a gay man.”

The homosexual twist from Spacey’s remarks seemingly angered more critics since Rapp was a minor. Others are now stating Spacey made advances towards them.

A statement from The International Academy of Television Arts & Sciences said that “in light of recent events it will not honor Kevin Spacey with the 2017 International Emmy Founders Award”.

The breakout drama This Is Us is being edited to remove a line referring to Spacey in the wake of the sexual assault allegations.

About the Author

Leave a comment

XHTML: You can use these html tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>



Recent Posts

Categories

Archives

At the Movies