Anthrax in animals: An interview with Dr. Buddy Faries
In a follow-up to the report last week of a case of anthrax in a cow in Tom Green County, Texas, I has the opportunity to talk to a real anthrax expert.
Professor & Extension Veterinarian with Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service, Dr Floron (Buddy) C. Faries gave me an update on the recent case near San Angelo.
Dr. Faries also gave a detailed explanation on anthrax in the United States, weather conditions that enhance disease transmission and the pathology of the bacterial disease in animals.
In addition, Faries also explained what the procedures were when an animal is discovered sick or dead from anthrax.
He also explained the importance of vaccinating livestock with the anthrax vaccine.
Anthrax is a serious infectious disease caused by gram-positive, rod-shaped bacteria known as Bacillus anthracis.
Domestic and wild animals such as cattle, sheep, goats, antelope, and deer can become infected when they breathe in or ingest spores in contaminated soil, plants, or water.
Although it is rare, people can get sick with anthrax if they come in contact with infected animals or contaminated animal products.
Contact with anthrax can cause severe illness in both humans and animals.
For more infectious disease news and information, visit and “like” the Infectious Disease News Facebook page